Stop, Drop & Blog
Stop, Drop & Blog
We are often asked "Who is Zoey Koko?!"
Zoey Koko was created for two tween besties wanting to indulge in spa time with each other so that they could practice self-care and girl time. The problem was that they couldn't find skin, body, or nail products that catered to them-- many were either too adult-like or too childish👶🏻👵🏼
Zoey Koko was born to give these besties, and girls all over, a way to spa in style. Our Pamper Pouches are designed so that every girl can practice self-care, social bonding and creativity, all wrapped into one💅🏽
Welcome to Zoey Koko ❤️
Self-care is what feeling smiley in your skin is all about!
Forming healthy habits at a young age is so so important. Trust us when we say that your skin & body will thank you in the future!
Here's a list of our best ZK TIPS for Glowing Skin:
Eat lots of fruits & veggies
Did you know avocados are classified as a fruit? It's true! They have seeds, so therefore they are fruit. Kinda cool, huh? They are also packed with healthy fats. Incorporate different color fruits and veggies into your diet as they contain loads of minerals, fiber and vitamins!
Drink 8 glasses of water a day
The amount of water in the human body ranges from 50-75%. We are literally half water! So why drink it? Water is the primary building block of cells, insulates the brain, organs and spinal cord, and helps control internal body temperature! Stay hydrated my friends :)
Wash your face 2x a day with a gentle cleanser
Scientists estimate that the human body is made up of around 10 trillion cells in total. Umm, WOW?!?!!!!!! Cleansing your face will help to take away the sweat and oil build up that forms from environmental factors. As a bonus, healthy skin will have less blackheads and acne.
Avoid using soap as it is too drying
To understand why soap is a NO-No for your face, let's put our science caps on. Your skin has a natural acidic ph between between 4 and 6.5. Soap, on the other hand, has a ph around 10! It also has synthetic detergents in it. Translation: No bueno! So, if you use soap on your skin, it messes with its pH balance, causing it to dry out your skin.
Use a lightweight moisturizer
A lightweight moisturizer gives your skin plenty of hydration without clogging pores with heavy ingredients. To ensure your skin stays sparkling, use an oil-free moisturizer. Don't skip the moisturizer either, even if you have oily skin. Skin that’s stripped of all its natural oils will fight back by over-producing oil.
Wear a broad spectrum SPF30
There are two types of UV light that can harm your skin — UVA and UVB. What's the difference? UVA rays can prematurely age your skin, causing wrinkles. UVB rays can burn your skin. Too much exposure to UVA or UVB rays can cause skin cancer. To combat these rays, we recommend you use a broad-spectrum sunscreen that protects you from both.
There are two things in life that are highly underrated: baths and naps. Both are great at de-stressing the body and make you feel amazing. We get a lot of feedback from tweens that they LOVE Lush's bath bomb selection and want to learn how to make these fizzy gems themselves. You asked and we answered! Now, people of all ages have a reason to take that extra 15 minutes to soak in the tub.
These fun cotton candy swirl bath bomb cupcakes were relatively easy to make. The trick is to not add any liquids too fast to the dry mix because it will fizz up like Alka-Seltzer. Patience is key! You can get as creative as you want with the colors. We chose to go with pastels to get that cotton candy vibe.
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid (Usually found in the canning section. No luck? Try the spice section where it is labeled as "sour salt")
1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 cup Epsom salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil
Essential oils (optional)
a cup of water
Silicone cupcake liners (or a cupcake pan)
1. Add all of the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
2. ------> VERY SLOWLY <------ add the coconut oil to the dry mixture. Make sure you whisk it immediately.
3. Separate out the mixture into bowls. Each bowl will have a different color and/or scent. We choose 4 different colors, as well as a vanilla essential oil.
4. Mix in your essential oils (optional) and food coloring to each bowl. Usually 1-2 drops is sufficient.
5. We want the texture of the mix to mimic wet sand. It shouldn't be too dry or too wet. To achieve this, mix in 1-2 drops of water in each bowl. Mix it in very quickly. We don't want to be having a fizz party up in here!
6. Line silicone liners or a cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Scoop in the colors as desired to achieve multicolored layers.
7. Pack down the mixture and allow the cupcakes to dry for about 24-48 hours.
7. Make this cupcake look pretty enough to eat with the final touch of sprinkles on top!
Coconut oil has been a hot and trending ingredient in the kitchen due to its healthy fat content and versatility, yet it also makes an excellent personal care product for its ability to aid in silky smooth skin and hair.
Over here at Zoey Koko, we are kinda obsessed with body scrubs. The buttery skin we get post shower from a good scrub was the motivation to create our own. We had 3 requirements going into this craft. A great home-made scrub should be:
1. Easy to make
2. Easy on the wallet
3. Pretty enough to give as a gift
We wanted to use coconut oil because it is loaded with Vitamin E, but we ran into this problem: Coconut oil hardens in colder temperatures. So we put our brains together and thought well, let's whip some air into this bad boy so that it stays light and fluffy at all times.
Thus, our journey began to make the world's best Whipped Coconut Oil Sugar Scrub. We think we did a pretty decent job!
Supplies are super simple for this one. We used coconut oil, granulated sugar, food coloring and essential oil (optional). Simple, easy, efficient!
1. Add 1 cup of solid or semi solid coconut oil into a mixing bowl. If the oil is liquid, it won't whip properly. (Tip: Harden it in the fridge for 10-15 minutes if you need to solidify it faster).
2. Turn the mixer on medium to high and blend it for approximately 2 minutes. The final texture should look like a whipped butter.
3. Pour 1 cup granulated sugar into the oil and whip until it resembles a frosting-like texture.
4. Grab your food coloring and whip in 1-2 drops of whatever color you desire. We chose red to make a soft pink shade.
4. The essential oil is optional. If you choose to use one, we recommend 1-2 drops of lavender. It has soothing and therapeutic properties that help keep us in our zen zone.
5. Your Whipped Coconut Sugar Scrub is complete! We had an old jar laying around that we got from Marshalls for $2 so we threw the scrub in it. We love how gorgeous our super simple DIY craft looks. You can use all of that buttery goodness for yourself or give it as a thoughtful, home-made gift!
We LOVE a holiday themed DIY craft and Artzy Creation's Jelly Bean Bracelets fit the bill for Easter. This craft is perfect to wear, give as a gift, or to eat! We would recommend this craft for ages 8+. It may be a bit difficult in the beginning to thread the needle, so as always, adult assistance is recommended.
We keep it short and sweet for this craft with only 3 supplies. Make sure that you
get elastic/stretch thread as this will help create shape to the bracelet.
Ok party people, let the bracelet games begin:
1. Cut the elastic thread approximately 6-8 inches in length. It's always better to have extra thread to cut down if need be.
2. Tie 2-3 knots at the bottom of the thread. Ensure that the knots are about 1 inch or so from the end of the thread so that tying the bracelet at the end is a breeze.
3. Thread the cord through the needle. It can be tricky at first, but keep on trucking!
4. Place a jelly bean on the needle and thread it through onto the elastic. To help with stability of the needle, use a hard surface (I used my kitchen table). This will make the process much smoother. Also, every now and then my little fingers got a bit tired so I used a paper towel to assist in threading the jelly beans.
5. Once the jelly beans are long enough to make the perfect sized bracelet, tie the loose ends together with a double knot.
6. Wear those bracelets like they are Easter's hottest accessory :)
Our ZK Cucumber Slice Sugar Cookies are the perfect accent to a spa party. They are playful and easy enough to do with your child. The glaze dries to a shiny, hardened finish so these cookies are easy to transport while still looking fab. Remember, it's not about the cookies being perfect. We aren't trained professionals over here either. We do suggest that you add to the fun by pretending you're on "The American Baking Competition". Ready, Set, BAKE!!! Spoiler alert: You end up winning the grand prize (cue the confetti and acceptance speech)!
Gather the ingredients above to make the ZK Cucumber Slice Sugar Cookie. If your going to buy the sugar cookies, use the Ready to Bake version. You just throw each cookie dough square on the baking pan and the cookies come out even sized every time.
Sugar Cookie Glaze (Adapted from King Arthur Flour)